OLYMPIC DISTANCE MIDEAST REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
TRIATHLON AND AQUABIKE
Swim, Bike, Run! 1500m swim, 40k bike, 10k run
Swim, Bike, Done! 1500m swim, 40k bike
Epic Races is proud to be the host of the 2013 Mideast Regional Championship. Each USAT region hosts a regional championship race. This race qualifies the top 33% or top 5 finishers in each age group for the USAT “Age Group” National Championship. Top finishers in the Age Group National Championship qualify for Team USA and will represent the United States at the Age Group World Championships.
There is no qualifying standard for our Mideast Regional Championship and all competitors/athletes are welcome and encouraged to participate. The more competitors that are in an age group, the more athletes who qualify for Age Group Nationals. If you qualify for Age Group Nationals will receive a special commemorative shirt telling the entire world that you qualified for Age Group Nationals.
First place Male/Female will be Mideast Regional Aquabike Champions. There is no Age Group Nationals for Aquabike at this time.
- The race will take place at Portage Lake Beach in the Waterloo Recreation Area, just west of Ann Arbor. Waterloo Recreation Area is the largest park in the Lower Peninsula. At more than 20,000 acres, the park boasts two modern campgrounds, a rustic campground, an equestrian campground, a swimming beach, several picnic sites, 11 excellent fishing lakes, eight boat launches, 12 miles of interpretive nature trails, 47 miles of hiking trails, three rustic cabins, numerous equestrian trails and the Gerald E. Eddy Discovery Center. Along the bike course you will be treated to historical and natural attractions such as the Haehnle Refuge, the Dewey Schoolhouse, the Waterloo Farm, the Sandhill cranes etc. Both the bike and the run are mostly flat with gentle rolling hills. The last 1.5 miles of the run are on trail with a downhill finish. Maps with elevations are below.
Nov. 1 – Dec. 31, 2012 until 12 AM
Jan. 1 – June 1, 2013 until 12 AM
June 2 – June 28, 2013 until 8 PM
- USAT Members must present a current USAT card or it will be necessary to pay the one day license fee. Non-USAT members who paid a one-day license fee need not present proof of membership. All participants MUST PRESENT PHOTO ID.
Non-USAT $12 Fee Explanation
- The $12 fee for non-USAT members is for USAT insurance. The entire $12 fee is paid to USAT. USAT is the governing body for the sport of triathlon.
Entry Fee Includes
- T-shirt, finisher medal, swim cap, sponsor product samples, festive post race lunch after the race, and more. T-shirt size guaranteed if registered two weeks prior to race date. You won’t just be getting ANY t-shirt at this event. Every participant will receive a t-shirt designed by the nationally syndicated cartoonist and veteran triathlete Jef Mallett. Jeff is the creator and artist of the comic strip Frazz and author of Trizophrenia.
- Medical staff will be on site during the race and available to participants. Jackson County Ambulance will be on pull-out reserve for this event.
Race Divisions (Triathlon)
- Male/female in each age division – age as of December 31, 2013
- Age Groups: 17-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+
- All athletes must be at least 17 years old by December 31, 2013 to qualify for Olympic Distance Nationals
Wet Suit Information
- Each participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in this event up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit
- 5:45 a.m. Packet Pick-Up and Transition Area Opens
- 6:50 Yoga for Athletes with Lisa Hesse
- 7:00 a.m. Packet Pick-Up Closes
- 7:15 a.m. Transition Area Closes
- 7:15 a.m. Mandatory Meeting on Beach
- 7:30 a.m. Race Begins
- 9:30 a.m. Post-Race Celebration and Athlete Lunch
- 11:00 am Award Ceremony
- First place overall male/female, first place master male/female (40 yrs. and over), and top five in each age division.
- All qualifiers will receive a USAT Qualifier T-Shirt!
- Finisher Medals to all Finishers.
How To Get There
- Address: 11500 Seymour Road, Grass Lake, MI 49240
- Directons: Take I-94 to the Grass Lake exit, exit 150 – Mt. Hope Rd. Go north 2.3 miles to Seymour Road. Turn west (left). Go 1.75 miles to the park entrance. Directions
- A State Park permit is needed to enter Waterloo Recreation Area. The Recreation Passport is your $10 ticket to Michigan’s state parks and outdoor adventures! Out-of-state residents will still be required to purchase a $8 daily permit or a $29 annual Motor Vehicle Permit.
- Michigan residents are not able to purchase a one day pass. For State Park entry, all Michigan residents must have a Recreation Passport. For details about the Recreation Passport CLICK HERE
Chelsea Comfort Inn and Village Conference Center - 1645 Commerce Park Dr. || Chelsea, MI 48118 || Phone: 734.433.8000 || Special Rate: $96
Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - South 925 Victors Way || Ann Arbor, MI 48108 || Phone: 734.665.5000 || Special Rate: $96
There are two options for reservations at the Waterloo/Portage Lake campground
- Visit Pure Michigan and click on the “Book at Waterloo Recreation Area Now “ hyperlink in the middle of the page. Then click on “Campsite go>>” and then choose Portage Lake Campground or
- Call 800.447.2757 and specify Waterloo Recreation Area Portage Lake Campground.