Welcome, participants! We’re thrilled that you’ll be joining us for the A2 Turkey Trot, the Ann Arbor area’s original Thanksgiving-themed race! Read on to get all the information you’ll need to be ready for our holiday race on Saturday, November 11! Please be sure to check back here for updates and shamble on over to our Facebook and Twitter accounts!
last updated 7 November 2017
We’ve got two opportunities for you to pick up your A2 Turkey Trot race goods:
- Friday, November 10 from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM at American Home Fitness, Cranbrook Village, 850 Eisenhower Parkway, Ann Arbor 48108
- Saturday, November 11 (race day!) starting at 7:45 AM at Hudson Mills Metropark, 8801 North Territorial Road, Dexter 48130
- Packet Pick-Up and Race-Day Registration close at 8:45 AM for the 5K
- Packet Pick-Up and Race-Day Registration close at 9:45 AM for the 10K and mile
Picking up packets for friends or relatives? Be sure to let your loved ones know to avoid any confusion at the Packet Pick-Up line! All participants picking their packets up on Friday, November 10 will receive an A2 Turkey Trot athlete goodie bag!
Know somebody that missed out on online registration? We will have Race-Weekend Registration available at both of our Packet Pick-Ups! Race-Weekend Registration is cash only, at the following rates:
$50 — 5K
$65 — 10K
$90 — Iron Turkey
$25 — Mile
Please note that race-shirt sizes are not guaranteed at Race-Weekend Registration.
Directions and Parking
The A2 Turkey Trot will be held at Hudson Mills MetroPark, 8801 North Territorial Road, Dexter, MI 48130. The start/finish line will be located near the Hudson Mills Pavilion Area near the park’s visitors center. To help make race day the best experience for all, please consider the following recommendations from the Metroparks staff:
• Carpool to the event. The Metroparks staff is considering parallel parking options along the park roads as well as other alternatives. Please carpool if you can!
• Please be prepared with exact change ($10 per vehicle) when you enter the park in order to quickly pay your entrance fees and help alleviate the traffic congestion on North Territorial Road and Dexter-Pinckney Road.
• Consider purchasing an annual Metroparks vehicle permit. For $35, your permit grants you unlimited access to all Huron-Clinton Metroparks through December 31. Please note that this is not the Recreation Passport associated with license-plate renewal, which provides access to DNR properties. Currently both 2016 and 2017 vehicle permits are valid for entry.
For more information about Hudson Mills’ facilities and fees, please visit http://www.metroparks.com/hudson-mills-metropark.
7:45 AM — Packet Pick-Up and Race-Day Registration open
8:30 AM — Pre-Race Yoga
8:45 AM — Pre-Race Warm-Up
8:45 AM — Packet Pick-Up and Race-Day Registration close (5K)
8:55 AM — Race Announcements; 5K lines up
9:00 AM — 5K starts
9:30 AM — Post-Race Athlete Snack Area opens
9:45 AM — Packet Pick-Up and Race-Day Registration close (10K and mile)
9:55 AM — Race Announcements; 10K lines up
10:00 AM — 10K starts
10:30 AM — Mile starts
The A2 Turkey Trot uses the Chronotrack B-Tag Timing System. This timing system provides each participant with an accurate time from the start to the finish line. You will receive a race bib featuring your individual race number. Individual timing tags are affixed to the back of each race bib. Leave the tags on the back of the bib and wear the bib on your front torso so that it is clearly visible on the outside of your clothing as you come across the finish line. This is a single-use bib number.
Bib Quick Tips:
- Bib number must be clearly visible on the front and outside of your clothing
- You must fill in the emergency contacts and medical information in the area provided on the back of your bib number
- Bib number is pinned in all four corners, securely fastened to your outer layer of clothing
- Bib number is not covered (by jackets, runner belts, water bottles, etc.)
- Bib number is non transferable and must be worn by the person to whom it is assigned.
Lining Up at the Starting Line
To ensure that everyone has the best race experience possible, we ask that you follow these guidelines for lining up at the starting line:
- Runners line up in the front, with those racing for Overall in the very front and those running with less speed behind them.
- Walkers line up directly behind the runners.
- Participants with jogging strollers line up according to the pace they will be jogging.
The Ann Arbor Track Club will be providing pacers for the A2 Turkey Trot 5K and 10K. If you’re looking to PR or just want to run at a specific pace, look for their pace signs as you line up. We will have pacers for the following paces: 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, and 12:00.
Running with a Stroller
Epic Races welcomes parents with jogging strollers to participate in our running events. Please note that, if you are participating with a stroller, the following guidelines must be followed:
- Your child must remain securely fastened inside the stroller while on the course for safety and insurance reasons.
- You must keep your stroller to the right side of the race course, to allow a clear path on the left for runners and walkers. No weaving in and out of the other participants is allowed.
- You may not race or run, only jog. This is to ensure the safety both of your child and of the other participants on the course.
For insurance and safety reasons and to ensure everyone’s enjoyment of the A2 Turkey Trot, dogs are not permitted on the course or in the post-race food area.
Participants must cross the start line during the official start time of the A2 Turkey Trot. Participants who begin before the official start time will not receive an official time.
Results for the A2 Turkey Trot will be posted several hours after the race’s completion. To find your results, go to the A2 Turkey Trot event site and click the Results tab near the top of the page.
Every A2 Turkey Trot finisher receives a beautiful commemorative medal; the 5K and 10K medals interlock to create the Iron Turkey medal.
The 1st Overall Male/Female and 1st Overall Masters (40+) Male/Female in the 5K, 10K, and Iron Turkey will each win a delicious Thanksgiving turkey from Whole Foods! Note: any unclaimed turkeys at the time that the A2 Turkey Trot closes will be donated to Food Gatherers.
The top five finishers in each male and female age division for the 5K and 10K each receive a special award. Age-group awards winners can come up to the Awards Table inside the park’s activity center to pick up their awards and pose for photos on our podium.
Be sure to smile for our photographers from Greg Sadler Photography on the course and as you come across the finish line! All of our participants receive free downloads of their race photos… just another reason our races are so Epic!
Food Gatherers, the featured charity for the A2 Turkey Trot, exists to alleviate hunger and eliminate its causes in our community. Food Gatherers regards the gifts of food and money that they receive as a sacred trust to be administered for the most effective hunger relief possible. Please bring a donation of non-perishable food or fresh produce to the Food Gatherers collection area on race day. All donations collected on Saturday at the A2 Turkey Trot will be distributed locally in time for Thanksgiving on Thursday.
Need more of an incentive to donate to Food Gatherers? Donate 10 canned items and receive a vintage Epic Races race T-shirt! For 20 cans, you’ll receive three shirts and for 30, five shirts! One item of fresh produce (a head of cabbage, a squash, a bunch of radishes, a pint of cherry tomatoes, etc.) may be substituted for one canned item. Food donations will be accepted on Saturday, November 11 (race day) only! Thank you!
Ditch the Discomfort
If you experience any aches, strains, or pain during your training or race, contact our friends at Probility Physical Therapy for a free injury assessment.