last update: 18, July 2018
Welcome, Detroit Goddesses! We’re thrilled that you’ll be joining us for the American Home Fitness Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K, & 5K. Read on for all the important information you’ll need to help you get ready for the big day. Please check back here frequently for updates, and wait until the day before the race to print this guide out.
Follow us on Social Media
We’ve got two opportunities for you to get your Women Run the D goodies:
- Saturday, September 15 from 12 PM to 4 PM at the Women Run the D Expotique at the Courtyard Mariott Downtown Detroit, MI.
- Sunday, September 16 from 6 AM to 7:30 AM at Belle Isle State Park (prior to the race).
You may pick up a packet for a friend or family member, but please let her know that you are picking up her race materials so there’s no confusion!
Top two reasons to pick up your packet on Saturday!
- Goddesses picking up their packets on Saturday at the Expotique will also receive a special athlete’s goodie bag!
- 1st 500 half marathoners & 1st 500 10Kers and 5Kers will receive a special Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K & 5K buff, another excellent reason to pick up your packet on Saturday!
The Women Run the D Expotique
Come pick up your packet, shop, and get some pre-race pampering between 12 PM – 4 PM on Saturday at the Women Run the D Expotique!
- SHEFIT, Michigan Runner Girl, Bondi Band, Stella and Dot, Rock City Skirts, and many more!
- Motor City Soap will be offering DIY bath soaks for $8 per jar.
- Detroit Medical Center will be kinesiotaping for $5 between 12 PM and 3 PM. Be sure to put our Expotique on your calendar!
Sweat in Sweet Style
Our friends at Bondi Bands have created a unique American Home Fitness Detroit Women’s Half Marathon headband, just for our Goddesses! Made from a marvelous, no-slip wicking fabric, our event Bondi Band will keep the sweat out of your eyes while adding a touch of divine style. Order yours now by clicking here; they will also be available at the Women Run the D Expotique on Saturday.
Women Run the D Store!
Commemorate your participation! Our fabulous Detroit Women’s merchandise is available for pre-order through August 31.
All pre-orders will be available for pick up at the Women Run the D Expotique and on race day.
Directions and Details
Our friends at DetroitPartyCoach.com will once again be providing shuttle service for participants staying at our host hotel, the Crowne Plaza Downtown Detroit. Participants wishing to take the free shuttle to Belle Isle on race-day morning will find the shuttle-boarding area located outside the main hotel lobby. To view shuttle times and to reserve your space, click here.
Please note that shuttle service is only for race participants staying at the Crowne Plaza (friends and relatives must provide their own transportation to Belle Isle). If you plan to take the shuttle, you must reserve your seat by midnight on Thursday, September 13; there are no race-weekend shuttle reservations. Seats are limited! In order to board, you must show your bib number and give your name to our shuttle volunteer.
Entry to Belle Isle State Park
As a Department of Natural Resources property, Belle Isle State Park requires a State of Michigan Recreation Passport for entry. What is a Recreation Passport? When Michigan residents check YES for the Recreation Passport when renewing a Michigan license plate with the Secretary of State, they gain access to more than 100 state parks, hundreds of miles of pathways, and much more. Learn more about these sites at www.michigan.gov/recsearch. In addition, buying a Recreation Passport means saying YES to protecting Michigan’s natural resources for future generations and to supporting recreation opportunities in municipal parks and trails through a grant program funded by your Recreation Passport purchase.
Michigan Residents: If you did not purchase a Recreation Passport upon renewing your license plates, you will need to purchase one for $11. Michigan residents may not purchase the daily permit. You can bring your registration to a Secretary of State branch office at any time to pay the $11 and receive a replacement license-plate tab with two small P’s, indicating that you purchased the Recreation Passport. You can also purchase a window sticker for $11 at a state park or Customer Service Center. The sticker should be placed on the inside lower- right side of the passenger window. The Recreation Passport is valid until your next vehicle-plate renewal date.
Out-of-State Participants: You will be required to purchase a daily permit for $9 or an annual permit for $31. You can purchase an annual pass in advance at www.michigan.gov/estore, or buy an annual or daily pass in person at a state park.
The park rangers will have in-state and out-of-state permits available for purchase. If, for some reason, you park your car without a permit, you will receive what appears to be a ticket on your car. It is not a ticket; it is a notice. Please take the notice to the entry gate and pay the daily or annual fee. Please direct any questions to the DNR.
Epic Races is thrilled to have our wonderful state park system for our events, for training, and to just visit and enjoy. These permits is how our parklands are supported.
All participants and spectators will be parking in the same parking lot on Belle Isle, near the Scott Memorial Fountain. Please see this map for more details:
In an effort to be green, we will not have printed race-weekend schedules available at the Expotique or on race day.
Saturday, September 15
12:00 p.m. — 4:00 p.m. The Women Run the D Expotique, Packet Pick-Up and Race-Weekend Registration
Sunday, September 16
6:00 AM – 7:30 AM — Packet Pick-Up and Race-Day Registration open at Belle Isle State Park ($95 half marathon, $70 10K, $50 5K; cash only for race-weekend registration if available)
7:30 AM — Massage/stretching by Tri-Covery opens in Goddess Village
7:30 AM — Pre-Race Warm Up
7:45 AM — Half Marathon and 10K line up by the finish-line arch
8:00 AM — Half Marathon and 10K start
8:00 AM — Handcycle and 5K participants line up by the balloon towers
8:15 AM — Handcycle and 5K start
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM Grab and Go Awards
12:00 PM — Course closes
Race Bibs & Timing
The American Home Fitness Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K uses a chip timing System. The chip Timing System provides each participant with an accurate time from the start to the finish line. Individual timing tags are affixed to the back of each race bib. Leave the tags on the back of the bib and wear the bib on your front torso, so that it is clearly visible on the outside of your clothing.
Bib Quick Tips:
- Race bib is clearly visible on the FRONT of your torso
- Race bib is unaltered and unmodified (do not fold, wrinkle, or remove back tag)
- Race bib is pinned in all four corners or secured to a race belt
- Race bib is worn on the outside of your clothing and is not covered (by jackets, runner belts, water bottles, etc.)
Results for the American Home Fitness Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K will be available for instant results at our results kiosk or on your smartphone by scanning your QR code located on your bib. You will need a QR code reader on your smartphone to use this feature. You will find a variety of QR code readers in the Apple App Store and at Google Play.
The half marathon, 10K, and 5K courses are USATF certified and will be run entirely on Belle Isle, starting and finishing near the Scott Memorial Fountain. In an effort to be green, we will not have printed maps available at the Expotique or on race day.
Half marathon – participants must complete the course within 4 hours (18-minute/mile pace).
10K – participants must complete the course within 3 hours.
5K – participants must complete the course within 2 hours.
You may run, run/walk, or walk as long as you finish within the cut-off time. If you go over the cut-offs, we ask that you move to the bike path.
Course Clock and Mile Markers
- Course clock & timing mats – Start line, 6.2-mile mark (half marathon only) and at the finish line.
- Mile markers – Each mile of the half marathon, 10K, and 5K courses.
Water will be located at the Start and finish area, as well at these locations:
- 5K — 1.5-mile
- 10K — 2-mile(energy gel), 3.5 mile & 4.5 mile
- Half Marathon – 2 mile (energy gel), 3.5 mile, 4.5 mile, 5.5 mile, 7.5 mile (energy gel), 8.5 mile, 10 mile, & 11.5 mile
Aid stations will offer Gatorade first and water second.
The Sanders Chocolate Mile can be found at the following miles:
- 5K – 2.5 mile
- 10K – 5.5 miles
- Half Marathon – 12.5 mile
Located at the Start and finish area, as well at these locations:
- 5K — 0.5-mile, 1.5-mile
- 10K — 2-mile
- Half Marathon – 2 mile, 3.5 mile, 5 mile, 6 mile, 7.5 mile, 9 mile, 10.5 mile & 11.5-mile
Four Legs and Wheels
For insurance and safety reasons and to ensure everyone’s enjoyment of the American Home Fitness Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K, dogs, bicycles, roller skates, in-line skates, and unauthorized wheeled vehicles are not permitted on the course.
Jogging strollers are only permitted in the 5K event. Please familiarize yourself with our stroller policies (see also our Policies page):
- Your child must stay strapped securely in the stroller for the entirety of the race.
- Strollers must stay to the right of the course at all times
- Strollers may not race or run, only jog
There will be a Medical Aid Station located at the start/finish line and at approximately the 3.2-mile mark and the 8.5-mile mark, on the opposite side of the start/finish line. Ambulance service will be provided by DMC Care Express.
We ask that participants and spectators be aware and respectful of sirens and emergency vehicles that may end up on the course. If you hear or see an emergency vehicle, please move to the side of the road.
Watch for the Women in Red!
Among the participants at the American Home Fitness Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K will be a few special women: our Epic Heart Heroes. Watch for our Epic Heart Heroes on the course — they will be wearing red race bibs and distinctive Heart Hero running tops by sponsor Fellow Flowers — and be sure to cheer them on!
Half Marathon and 10K
- Line up at the Blue Finish Line Arch
- Please arrive at your corral 15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Line up in the corrals according to your estimated minute-per-mile pace. (Please line up behind the correct pace sign)
- Line up at the Ballon Arches facing the fountain
- Please arrive at your corral immediately after all the half-marathon and 10K participants have cleared the fountain.
- Line up in the start corral according to their estimated minute-per-mile pace. (Please line up behind the correct pace sign)
If you plan to walk, please line up at the last corral. If you plan to use a jogging stroller, you will line up behind the walkers (please see our stroller policies above or on our Policies page).
Meet your 2018 Pacing Team and stop by and visit them at the Expotique! Hansons Running Shop will be providing pacers for the half marathon and 5K. On race morning, the Pacing Team will be found just before the start area, lined up near the pace signs along the grass. Pace groups are based on a wide range of ability levels, starting at 1:35 (7:15 pace) through 3:00 (13:44 pace) and every time in between.
Not sure which pace is right for you? Check out this Race Prediction Chart or talk to the pacers at the Expotique or on race morning. Running with a pacer is a great way to meet your goal… but if you want to go ahead, feel free to break away. It’s also okay to slow down and do your own thing, then pick up with a slower pacing group.
All American Home Fitness Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K finishers receive our gorgeous Women Run the D finisher’s medal! Special awards will also be presented to:
- 1st Overall finishers in the half marathon, 10K, and 5K*
- 1st Masters finisher (40+) in the half marathon, 10K, and 5K*
- Top 5 finishers in each Age Division: 7-10 (5K only), 11-13 (5K only), 14-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+
- Top three finishing duos in Mother-Daughter in the half marathon, 10K, and 5K
- Top three finishing trios in Three Generations in the half marathon, 10K, and 5K
*Overall winners are not eligible to win age-group awards.
Awards for Teams
Team Categories (registered groups of 5 or more participants – friends, families, clubs, or corporate groups)
- Half Marathon
Awards will be presented to the top 3 registered teams in each category. Teams are scored by averaging the times of the entire team. All team members must participate in the same distance race.
Did you participate in two Goddess races in 2018? Please pick up your Goddess Racing Series hoo-rag at the Goddess Gifts table at your second race. Completing all three Goddess races? Please pick up your Goddess Racing Series award at Goddess Gifts. The Goddess Gifts table is located at our Women Run the D retail booth.
Be sure to smile for our photographers from Greg Sadler Photography on the course and as you come across the finish line! All of our Goddesses receive free downloads of their photos, another reason our races are so Epic!
Gear-check bags will be available at Packet Pick-Up at the Women Run the D Expotique and at the race venue. These will be clear in color. You must use the provided bag if you choose to check your gear. For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and participants, we will not accept any personal bags. Should you have a personal bag you’d like to check, you’ll need to empty it into the provided clear bag.
Gear Check opens at 7:15 AM on race day. It will be located under a tent labeled Bag Drop (near Packet Pick-Up).
Epic Races is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Please keep money, keys, and valuables on you and not in your checked bag.
The starting line and the finish line are less than a half-mile apart on foot. This will give you a great chance to see both ends of the race.
- DO offer a high-five if inspiration grabs you but remember that a few high fives go a long way. Don’t be offended if a runner doesn’t take you up on your offer
- DO cheer on everybody, not just the participants you know
- DO keep dogs leashed and well away from the course
- DO be inspired to run yourself next year
- DO have a great time! A road race can be a wonderful, inspiring event to watch
- DON’T enter the race course! Big no-no!
- DON’T smoke anywhere near the race
- DON’T say “You’re almost there!” UNLESS the finish line is actually IN SIGHT