- This event has passed.
Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day!
A portion of this event’s proceeds benefit our featured charity, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
Start 2018 on the right foot — or left — with our Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day Virtual Race, the perfect way to kick off your resolution for a healthy and fit new year! Anyone of any age and any ability can participate: you only need your own two feet and an outdoor location!
How to Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day
- Register for this event at RunSignUp; deadline to register is February 1!
- Head to your chosen venue. This can be any park or public land managed by the State of Michigan Department of Natural Resources, your favorite local park or trail, or right in your own neighborhood!
- Complete your Bling in the New Year Shoe Year’s Day Virtual Race! You can run it, walk it, hike it, snowshoe it, cross-country ski it, skate it… do your Bling in the New Year any way imaginable as long as it’s non-motorized. It’s your New Year so set your own personal goal. Because these are personal goals versus a set distance or time limit, we are not requiring any specific finish time or completed distance.
Goal setting guidelines:
- Challenge yourself, but be realistic
Be specific (for example, I will walk/run/snowshoe or XC Ski five miles; I will walk/run/snowshoe or XC Ski for half an hour)
Choose a goal that is meaningful and important to you, not to anybody else
- Be sure to complete your race between December 1 and February 28!
- Tell us about your Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day Race! Head to the 2018 Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day Virtual Race Facebook page, “join” the event if you haven’t already, then upload a photo of your GPS tracker showing your mileage and time, share a selfie of you where you did your race, or post a comment telling us about it. You can also post your photos on Instagram and tag us (@epicraces) or tweet about it on Twitter and tag us (@epicraces). Be sure to use the hashtags #BlingintheNew Year #ShoeYear’sDay! Note: You do not need to “prove” your race to us. We encourage you to post about your Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day Virtual Race via our social media, but it is not mandatory!
- All swag will be sent out via Priority Mail on February 28!
Virtual Race, Real Swag!
Every Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day participant will receive a beautiful medal created especially for this event, along with a Bling in the New Year Shoe’s Year Day T-shirt. All medals and shirts will be mailed out via Priority Mail in early March. Wear your shirt all year round to show your support for Michigan’s state parks and your commitment to fitness!
Please note: Epic Races does not ship swag to Canada or internationally. If you are a resident of Canada or another country and wish to participate in an Epic Races virtual event, please provide us with a U.S. shipping address.
Benefits for You and for the Outdoors
Completing the Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day Virtual Race has definite health benefits, whether you’re taking your first step in a year of racing events or your first step towards fitness ever. Make your race more than just a one-time event, and encourage your friends and family to join you as you Bling in the New Year! Your participation also has benefits beyond these: a portion of the proceeds from this event go to the Michigan DNR to help fund reforestation efforts and fitness programs in state parks. The Bling in the New Year with Shoe Year’s Day Virtual Race is part of the Pure Michigan FITness Series of events and is endorsed by the Michigan Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness, Health, and Sports. For details on the Pure Michigan FITness Series and to take part in the Pure Michigan FITness Challenge, click here.
A State of Michigan Park permit is required to enter all DNR-managed properties. The Recreation Passport is your $11 ticket to Michigan’s state parks and outdoor adventures for an entire year! Michigan residents are not able to purchase a one-day park pass. For State Park entry, all Michigan residents must have a Recreation Passport. For details about the Recreation Passport, click here.
- This event does not have any special partners.