- This event has passed.
The Defeat Depression Dash
presented by the National Network of Depression Centers and the University of Michigan Comprehensive Depression Center
Mental health and fitness is just as important to one’s overall well-being as is physical fitness. The National Network of Depression Centers and the University of Michigan Comprehensive Depression Center, in partnership with the Wolverine Support Network, invite runners and walkers of all ages to join them this October 15 for the 2nd Annual Defeat Depression Dash. This event is professionally managed by Epic Races, Southeast Michigan’s premier multi-sport race company.
Good for the Body, Mind, and Soul
If you’ve never run a 5K or even walked anything near a mile, the Defeat Depression Dash is the ideal event for first timers. Not only is the course picturesque and relatively flat, but there’s nothing like llamas, goats, and pigs to put a smile on your face! To help you reach your 5K goals, our friends at the Ann Arbor Running Company will be there with their pace team! Pacers run at a set pace (for example, a 9-minute mile/27-minute finish, a 10-minute mile/30-minute finish, etc.). To join a pace group, look for their signs, stating the pace at which they will be running, then let the pacer guide you through the course for a successful finish!
New this year:
- a Mile Fun Run/Walk, perfect for first-time race participants and for those who just want to walk or run to raise awareness about a very important cause.
- a Kids’ 100-Meter Dash, FREE for children ages 8 and under
- a Virtual 5K, for those who live outside of the Ann Arbor area or simply cannot join us on October 15. Complete your 5K between September 1 and October 15 by running or walking in the location of your choice — a track, a treadmill, a trail, even around your neighborhood — then let us know by posting about your Virtual 5K on our Facebook event page. Share photos of your run or walk! Share screenshots of your fitness app, showing your finish time and your course. Tell us how it went! All Virtual 5K participants receive the same race shirt and finisher’s medal as our race-day participants (mailed out upon completion of the actual event).
The Defeat Depression Dash is walker friendly!
Free Race Photos!
Sports photographer Greg Sadler will be on hand at the Defeat Depression Dash to capture those special race moments for our participants. All race photos are downloable for FREE, thanks to Greg!
In addition, everyone who participates in the Defeat Depression Dash 5K and Mile Fun Run receives:
- A high-quality, super-soft event T-shirt
- A fabulous finisher’s medal
- A virtual race bag with offers and discounts from our sponsors
- Post-race snacks to refuel your body
- A coupon for one FREE entry to Domino’s Petting Farm on race day
The More, the Merrier!
What’s better than enjoying an invigorating run or walk on a beautiful morning? Sharing it with friends! Spread the sunshine with your loved ones by forming a team and participating in the Defeat Depression Dash together! Give your group a unique name and consider outfitting your group in a fun way to bring smiles to the faces of your fellow runners and walkers!
If you are a youth participant (18 or under), a college student, a United States military service member, veteran, or military dependent, or a first responder, the Defeat Depression Dash has special pricing just for you! Youths, click the Special Pricing button when you select the 5K option. Military, first responders, and college participants, select the 5K option, then select your discount (military/first responder or college) on the screen immediately after the waiver.
Check Out the 2015 Action
The Defeat Depression Dash is presented by the National Network of Depression Centers and the University of Michigan Comprehensive Depression Center, in partnership with Wolverine Support Network. In recognition of the impact of depression in our own community, we will honor the memory and family of Garrick Roemer, who died by suicide at age 19 on May 4, 2014. Garrick was a Saline High School graduate and member of the school’s track team. He was in his sophomore year at the University of Michigan and a member of the U-M track team.
In the Spirit of Health and Safety…
The Defeat Depression Dash welcomes runners and walkers of all ages and abilities as well as parents and grandparents with strollers. Participants with strollers must line up at the back of the starting-line group, behind the walkers, with the runners at the front. Please view our participating-with-strollers policy in the FAQs and on our Policies page.
Please, no smoking in the staging, start, or finish areas or while on the course.
Due to the nature of the course and its path through Domino’s Petting Farm, as well as for safety and insurance reasons, no pets of any kind are allowed.
2016 Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskFodBhT