- This event has passed.
Rock the Light Virtual 5K Run/Walk/Bike
Help preserve one of Michigan’s grandest maritime monuments while taking strides towards better health with the Rock the Light 5K Run/Walk/Bike! This virtual event benefits the Grand Traverse Lighthouse stone structures restoration project. Constructed in 1852, the Grand Traverse Lighthouse closed down as a working lighthouse in 1972. Today, the lighthouse is open to the public and visitors can climb the tower for a spectacular view of Lake Michigan. Visitors can also tour the restored lighthouse keepers’ dwelling. It was the lighthouse keepers of the 1920s and 1930s who built the stone structures that are in dire need of restoration. Proceeds from the Rock the Light 5K will go towards funding these much-needed repairs and renovations.
The Rock the Light 5K is open to participants of any age and ability, located anywhere in the United States. All you need are a pair of athletic shoes and the desire to help this historic lighthouse complex regain its Epic glory! To learn more about the Grand Traverse Lighthouse and its stone-structure restoration project, visit their official web site.
How to Participate
Follow these steps to become a 2017 Rock the Light 5K participant:
- Register for this event at RunSignUp; deadline to register is August 31!
- Head to your chosen venue for your Rock the Light 5K. This can be your favorite local park or trail or right in your own neighborhood!
- Start and finish your Rock the Light 5K any time between July 1 and September 4! You can run, jog walk, hike, or bike your 5K.
- Tell us about your Rock the Light 5K by heading to the 2017 Rock the Light 5K Facebook event page, “join” the event if you haven’t already, then upload a photo of your GPS tracker showing your mileage and time, share a selfie of you where you did your Rock the Light 5K, or post a comment telling us about it. You can also post your photos on Instagram and tag us (@epicraces) or tweet about it on Twitter and tag us (@epicraces). Be sure to use the hashtag #RocktheLight5K! Note: You do not need to report your 5K Run/Walk/Bike to us. We encourage you to post about your Holding the Line 5K via our social media, but it is not mandatory!
All Rock the Light swag will be mailed out in late September!
Virtual Run/Walk, Real Swag!
Every Rock the Light 5K participant will receive a custom finisher’s medal created especially for this event, along with a Rock the Light 5K event shirt. All medals and shirts will be mailed out in late September. Wear your Rock the Light 5K shirt all year round to show your support for the Grand Traverse Lighthouse restoration project!
Please note: Epic Races does not ship swag to Canada or internationally. If you are a resident of Canada or another country and wish to participate in an Epic Races virtual event, please provide us with a U.S. shipping address.
- This event does not have any special partners.