Zero Waste

 

Epic Races has teamed up with ZeroHero and Happy Planet Running to make our races zero-waste events. By pitching in — literally — at our ZeroHero sorting tent, you’ll not only help keep our race venues clean but also assist in reducing biomass in our landfills and lowering our environmental impact.

 

Our Zero-Waste Events

With help from our ZeroHero sorting tent volunteers and with our participants’ assistance in sorting their garbage, Epic Races has dramatically decreased our events’ impact on the environment. The numbers speak for themselves. Take a look!

2017 Detroit Women’s Half Marathon, 10K, 5K

The overall landfill diversion rate was 99.4%. Read the full report here.

  • Compostables: 463.8 lbs. (51.9 %)
    Recyclables: 424.8 lbs. (47.5 %)
    Landfill: 5.7 lbs. (0.6 %)

2017 Firecracker 5K

Our annual Fourth of July event reached 99% diversion. What does that mean? Only 1% of the refuse collected — less than two pounds of trash — went to the local landfill, while 99% was composted or recycled. Read the full report here.

  • Compostables: 52.9 lbs. (27.4 %)
  • Recyclables: 137.9.5 lbs. (71.6 %)
  • Landfill: 1.8 lbs. (1 %)

 

2017 Tri Goddess Tri

Our annual women’s triathlon diverted 94% of its collected refuse from the landfill to be composted or recycled. The remaining 6% did not even fill one trash bag. Read the full report here.

  • Compostables: 56.3 lbs. (35.2 %)
  • Recyclables: 93.9 lbs. (58.6 %)
  • Landfill: 9.9 lbs. (6.2 %)

 

2017 Probility Ann Arbor Marathon

More than 2,500 athletes participated in the full marathon, half marathon, 10K, and 5K racing events held annually in Ann Arbor. How much trash do 2,500 athletes generate? Less than 52 pounds! Amazingly, 1,283 pounds of collected refuse was diverted from the landfill, with more than 850 pounds destined for the recycling center and more than 450 pounds to the compost center. Read the full report here.

  • Compostables: 428.9 lbs. (31.0 %)
  • Recyclables: 853.9 lbs. (61.7 %)
  • Donated clothes: 50 lbs. (3.6%)
  • Landfill: 51.5 lbs. (3.7 %)

 

2017 Pi Run and Piece of Pi(e)

Epic Races celebrated this annual mathematical event by generating less than 3.14 pounds of landfill-bound trash. That’s right: less than 3.14% of the total rubbish collected by our ZeroHero volunteers ended up in a landfill. The rest? Composted and recycled. Read the full report here.

  • Compostables: 26.6 lbs. (30.3 %)
  • Recyclables: 58.5 lbs. (66.7 %)
  • Landfill: 2.6 lbs. (3 %)

 

Compost Center ZeroHeroHow a ZeroHero Works

Recycle: Deposit your empty plastic water bottles, soft-drink cans, and clear glass items here.

Compost: Place your banana peels, compostable drink cups, paper plates, and food scraps here.

Waste: All non-recyclable, non-compostable garbage goes here.

Not sure how to sort what you want to toss? The ZeroHero features visual examples of what items belong where so that you can easily identify where particular items go. The ZeroHero’s tent design also prevents wind from blowing garbage out of ordinary trash receptacles, keeping litter from spreading around our race venues and enhancing our participants’ enjoyment of their racing experience.

For more details about the ZeroHero, click here.